Joint governance is good governance

Posted for Retired Members, January 3, 2018

As a jointly sponsored pension plan, the interests of members and employers are equally represented on the Board of Trustees. Part of this equal representation includes a regular 18-month change in the Chair and Vice-Chair positions.

Most recently, Scott Blakey, was appointed Chair of the Board of Trustees, and Donald Wright, former Chair of the Board, assumed the role of Vice-Chair. These appointments came into effect on October 1, 2017.

We thank the outgoing Vice-Chair, Beverly Townsend, for her service in the roles of Chair, and Vice-Chair. She remains a member of the Board of Trustees, and sits on the Board’s Finance and Administration Committee.

Appointments and resignations: Kelly Murray-Scott, an OCASA representative, resigned from the Sponsors’ Committee effective September 30, 2017. She is succeeded by Riley Burton, who is the Director, Teaching & Learning Centre at Confederation College.

Mike Seeger, an OCASA representative, completed his term on the Board of Trustees, effective September 30, 2017. He is succeeded by Kim Watkins, the Chief Financial Officer of Mohawk College and Treasurer of the Mohawk College Foundation.

We thank Ms. Murray-Scott and Mr. Seeger for their years of service and dedication to the Plan.

98% satisfied with Plan’s joint governance

The annual opinion survey asks members how well they believe their interests are represented by the Board of Trustees and Sponsors’ Committee. The overwhelming majority of retired members and survivors with an opinion said they believe they are very well represented (60%) or satisfactorily represented (38%), for a total of 98%.

Read the complete survey results.