News & Events
DBplus is live!
As of January 1, 2019, all OTRFT members are now earning a pension under DBplus.
Reminder about process changes:
- Employers should now be deducting contributions at 9% on all T4 earnings for their OTRFT members. Please refer to the employer manual for clarification on earnings that are pensionable for DBplus.
- Make sure to use the new enrolment, change and application forms for all members. They can be located on our website and in the employer manual.
Clarification on question about earnings for disability and maternity leaves from November 22 webinar
During the November 22 employer education session, we received some questions about what earnings should be used for OTRFT members on Short-Term Disability (STD) or pregnancy and parental leave.
Here is some clarification about the treatment of these leaves under DBplus:
Paid sick leave (or STD)
- Contributions are based on the member’s actual earnings received during the absence. Members can’t purchase the difference between actual and deemed earnings.
- OTRFT members who were on paid sick leave or STD before January 1, 2019, will remain in the DBprime plan design until their STD or paid sick leave ends. At this time, they will be transferred to the DBplus plan design. If the member transitions directly from STD to LTD with no interruption, the member will remain in the DBprime plan design for the duration of their LTD.
Contributions for pregnancy and parental leave
- Contributions are based on deemed contributory earnings unless the member specifically chose not to make contributions for this period.
- Where the employer provides the Supplementary Unemployment Benefit (SUB) plan, they have the option to spread the “top-up payments” over 18 months. This will not impact the amount of contributions paid by the member and employer for the leave.
Employer Attestation has begun
Attestation forms covering administration activities during 2018 will be sent to employers by January 11.
The deadline to complete the attestation is March 29, 2019.
For any questions regarding the attestation, please contact Angela Goodchild.
Data Collection Tool (DCT) schedule
The DCT process is starting in January. Be sure to put these key dates in your calendar:
- January 10 – Invitation to training webinar. Be sure to register so you don’t miss your chance to attend the training session!
- January 24 – DCT training webinar
- January 25 – DCT available for use
- February 13 – CAAT provides annual detail account summary to employers
- March 13 – All DCT data must be submitted
- March 13 – Employers to confirm information on the annual detail account summary to the CAAT Finance department
Using the DCT
Your DCT login will be the same as your S-Doc login, unless you have received an email from the CAAT Pension Plan about resetting your password. These emails are expected to go out on January 11, 2019. Contact your Employer PA if you have questions.
2017 strike purchase for concurrent members
We have completed the data analysis for concurrent members relating to the 2017 strike.
Purchase packages were mailed to these members on December 19.
Retired members notified of inflation protection increase
Letters were mailed to retired members and survivors on January 4, 2019 notifying them of the inflation protection increase of 1.62%.
As always, if you get pension-related inquiries from retired members or survivors, please refer the caller to the CAAT Plan member services team.
2019 member presentations
As we prepare for 2019 member presentations, we are looking back at a successful year of presentations in 2018. Through in-person member presentations, regional events, webinars and video views, we reached 6,026 members! This includes presentations to our newest employers, ROM, YSB and Torstar.
Member surveys showed:
- a demand for more in-person presentations
- some members are unaware that in-person sessions are available
- requests for sessions geared toward certain topics.
Be sure to take advantage of the member presentations we offer, free of charge – you can even schedule multiple sessions in a year. Encourage your employees to attend the different types of sessions we offer, with topics ranging from Retirement Planning, DBplus, CAAT Plan Overview and Service Purchases.
And, be sure to encourage any OTRFT employees who have questions to watch recordings of the webinars introducing DBplus, for members and non-members.
Now booking 2019 sessions
We are booking well into 2019 already!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your on-site session.
We can help!
If you are looking for help to promote or track registrations, we can provide you with assistance. Contact us at email@example.com.
Employer attestation packages - January 9 - 11
Employer attestation packages will be sent out.
Employer education session - January 24
Employer Education session on DCT to take place.
Invitations for the employer updates and educations sessions will be sent out approximately two weeks prior to the scheduled date.
Service Standard Levels
For the month of December 2018
|Event||Quantity||Service standard compliance|
|Retirements||60 options provided
55 elections processed
|Pension Estimates||57 estimates provided||100%|
|Terminations||67 notifications of extension of membership (EOM)
51 termination option documents
22 elections processed
|Service Purchases||41 quotes provided||100%|