Careers at the CAAT Pension Plan
The CAAT Pension Plans provides secure retirement income to our members, operating in a team environment of integrity and accountability. We maintain a positive workplace of mutual respect, support for growth and open communication. We live and work by our values and our commitment to our members. Read our Statement of Workplace Values.
Message from the CEO
The CAAT Pension Plan is more than a collection of highly skilled and experienced professionals. Our people have a passion for pensions and our purpose is to add value in everything we do. If you’re interested in making a difference in people’s lives, consider joining our team!
Derek Dobson, CEO & Plan Manager
Current open positions:
Who you are
A proactive, professional Actuarial Analyst interested in joining a growing organization and expanding team in which you will contribute to a variety of new and exciting growth initiatives. You have experience with and knowledge of the risks associated with pension benefits, governance and funding. You are a quick learner looking for an opportunity to join a dynamic team where your drive and sharp mind will be fully utilized. A team player and a self-starter who can juggle multiple priorities, you thrive on adding value and making a difference.
What you’ll do
The Actuarial Analyst is a new position within the CAAT Pension Plan, giving you the opportunity to shape many aspects of the role as it develops, and integrate it within our Pension Management/Actuarial Solutions team. The role will emphasize data analysis for special projects, and administrative support around potential mergers with other Plans.
In your role, you will help develop and utilize new tools and processes that will be relied upon to ensure non-routine and high-risk benefits are properly calculated and valued. In addition, you will support the Plan in analysing trends and risks that may affect the Plan’s funding, demographics, and changes in actuarial calculations. You will be involved in a wide range of day-to-day tasks, internal and external projects, and special activities associated with the Plan’s growth initiative.
You will provide actuarial support to the CEO & Plan Manager, Vice-President of Pension Management, Manager of Actuarial Solutions, members of the Actuarial Solutions team, and others. Your expertise will be required in support of demographic and other trending analysis, experience studies, valuations and projections, gain/loss analysis, sensitivity analysis, and plan design reviews.
Excellent project management, research, analytical, organizational and time management skills. Excellent communications skills (both written and oral). Good presentation skills, including the ability to explain extremely technical and highly complex mathematical concepts. Exceptional judgement, thorough, and logical.
University degree (e.g. majoring in actuarial science, statistics or mathematics) and/or College diploma and/or a combination of equivalent training, education and experience. Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) designation or demonstrated equivalent education/experience would be an asset.
Experience of 3 or more years in the actuarial area of the pension industry is highly desirable. Thorough understanding of pension calculations and strong Excel skills. Experienced in the development of administrative business requirements and the essential tools required to be successful.
- Emphasis on data analysis for special projects and administrative support around potential mergers with other Plans.
- Key member of the actuarial team responsible for Administrative tool development, including both improvement of existing tools and development of new tools as required
- Work with members of the Member Services, Quality Assurance, and Employer Services teams to resolve complex pension related issues and high-risk or complicated benefit calculations
- In conjunction with the actuarial team prepare responses to questions submitted by Plan staff or stakeholders
- Support actuarial filings and related funding analysis, complete peer reviews ensuring the accuracy of all filings and analysis
- Analyse trends and risks that may impact Plan funding, demographics, and changes in actuarial calculations
- Support strategic initiatives by providing actuarial analysis and implementation know-how including interpreting Plan provisions
- Monitor and contribute to the preparation of quarterly statistical reports
- Builds and maintain detailed knowledge of Plan provisions and administrative practices
- Develop and maintain deep knowledge of pension system functionality and other support tools, including data structures and effective use of the administration system/tools
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation with problem-solving: identify opportunities to improve the effectiveness of the pension system to ensure compliance with Plan text and legislation, and recommend improvements to the administration system and other supporting tools
- Participate in discussions with the actuarial team to define changes to the pension system and administration processes, and identify opportunities to streamline processes
- Monitor pension industry practices while maintaining up to date knowledge on applicable pension legislation
- Participate in team meetings to review changes and evaluate the impact to the Plan
- Co-ordinate resources for internal meetings
- Other duties as assigned
If you are interested, please Email email@example.com by July 17, 2017 with Actuarial Analyst in the subject line. Also, please include your salary expectations. We thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
How to apply
Are you a qualified candidate interested in working as part of our proactive, progressive team that sees trust as fundamental to who we are? If so, email your resume and cover letter, in confidence, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in the CAAT Pension Plan, however only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Who we are
As Ontario's multi-employer pension plan for the postsecondary education sector and the Royal Ontario Museum, we administer the pensions and manage the $9.4 billion pension fund for 44,700 active and retired employees.
What do our employees say?
I enjoy working with our Service Delivery team and providing excellent customer service for our members. This organization supports my personal growth and presents me with new challenges and learning opportunities every day.
Tamara, Processing Analyst, Service Delivery
One of my favourite aspects of the CAAT Plan is the work atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help each other. When I first started, everyone, regardless of department or job title, was very helpful and took the time to answer any questions I had. And it’s ongoing – we really do work together as one team.
Manny, Pension Analyst, Employer Services
Who you are
You're a team player who thrives in a collegial environment. You want to work in, and for, a team that is accountable for its actions, recognizes talent, nurtures your potential and values your trust.
What do our employees say?
Working at the CAAT Pension Plan is like joining one big family. We all work together through our ‘one team’ approach to deliver value to our members.
Dominik, Lead, Enterprise Risk, Finance
Our company is filled with friendly people who are passionate about their work. We are a very diverse group but it is amazing to see how we all work together as one team where we support and learn from each other.
Sathya, Data Management Analyst, Information Technology
What we offer
Looking for a flexible work environment with opportunities to develop? Are you interested in a competitive salary and a comprehensive health and dental benefits package? Do you seek a valuable contributory defined benefit pension plan and life insurance? We offer it all, with a convenient location in downtown Toronto and ready access to the subway and PATH systems.
What do our employees say?
The CAAT Plan offers me ample opportunity for personal improvement. I’ve achieved Ontario Health and Safety Officer training as part of the Health & Safety Committee. As a member of the CHAAT Toastmasters Club, I’ve been able to develop and practice public speaking which has given me with the skills and confidence to deliver presentations to our members.
Emad, Senior Pension Analyst, Member Services
The Plan cares about the well-being of its employees, and our benefits reflect this philosophy. We have an excellent defined benefit pension plan, flexible work hours and fitness membership, in addition to health and dental coverage.
Belinda, Manager, Employer Services & Quality Assurance
Employees giving back
Not only is our mission to provide a secure retirement income to our members, but we also strive to make an impact in the community, outside of our core mandate. The CAAT Pension Plan believes in giving back by supporting the charitable endeavours of its employees.
Our employees participate in a variety of events throughout the year with the goal of raising environmental awareness and supporting those most in need.
- Our Social Committee coordinates fundraising campaigns throughout the year and sponsor local families during the holidays.
- Our Green and Health Committee reinforces our concern for the environment in our business operations.
- Employees regularly organizing clothing and food drives in efforts to help the less fortunate in our community.
What do our employees say?
Being involved in the CAAT Plan’s Social Committee is very rewarding. We organize activities like silent auctions and seasonal food and clothing drives in support of local charities. Throughout the year we find ways to help those less fortunate while interacting with each other outside of work.
Maria, Senior Pension Analyst, Member Services
As a member of the Green & Health Committee, I am aware of the steps that we are taking to ensure a sustainable future. Being a part of an organization that is actively aware of its impact on the environment is of great importance to me. The fact that the CAAT Plan values the environment and works toward improving the condition of the planet is something that I look for in an employer.
Jenn, Senior Administrative Assistant, Office Administration